Head of Development
Are you a software development leader with the ability to shape and grow development teams?
Have you lead teams focused on large-scale web app development, with Python as a core component?
If so, please read on. We’re looking for a Head of Software Development or Software Development Manager, to help us grow as a technical function, meet the needs of our expanding customer base and help us deliver an exciting range of new features and capabilities.
AppCheck Ltd is a leading provider of information security software, offering cloud-based vulnerability detection and reporting services to end-user clients and resellers worldwide. Our team of software engineers work together to deliver a proven and trusted security testing service to some of the world’s top brands.
As the Head of Development at AppCheck, you will have the opportunity to:
- Build and maintain high-performing teams and create a positive working environment for all team members.
- Manage teams responsible for frontend and backend services, as well as those delivering new projects.
- Collaborate with Technical and Business Leadership to define strategies for our various products.
- Ensure successful project execution and delivery by providing clear direction, removing obstacles, and holding the team accountable for their deliverables.
- Guide teams in setting realistic timelines for project delivery, breaking down work into clearly defined deliverables, and identifying dependencies.
- Implement processes and environments that ensure we produce high-quality software and contribute to developing a class-leading Development function.
- Mentor engineers of various experience levels to keep them engaged, challenged, and meeting their professional development goals.
- Collaborate with colleagues to foster a culture of positive collaboration, safety to learn from failure, and continuous improvement.
Who We’re Looking For:
To be successful in this role, we’d like you to have:
- Several years of experience leading software development teams
- Experience leading large-scale web application development projects in Python
- The ability to understand complex software environments and end-to-end system architecture flow
- Experience leading projects and coaching engineers through a project’s lifecycle in an Agile environment, utilising various project delivery methods.
- Comfort with adapting to changes as we respond to a rapidly changing marketplace. Exceptional leadership skills and the ability to motivate your team to produce the highest quality deliverables with the greatest velocity.
- The ability to attract, hire, manage, and mentor great Developers and make them successful.
- Experience working with remote teams and leading them to sustainable long-term success.
- A passion for quality and a “Get Stuff Done” attitude that is balanced by a sense of responsibility to your customers and team.
- Knowledge of best practices related to legacy development, scalability, and performance.
- Understanding of building microservices, along with their benefits and challenges.
More About AppCheck:
- AppCheck is a B2B cyber security software platform developed by industry leading ethical hackers and web application security experts.
- Our technology gives companies the ability to scan for and fix security vulnerabilities in their web applications and hosted infrastructure before malicious hackers can exploit them.
- As well as offering a unique and powerful technology, AppCheck is an industry leader in web app security research and a source of knowledge on preventing malicious hacks and costly security breaches.
- Created in 2014 with 4 people, we’ve grown to 85 strong with an additional 30 hires planned over the next 12 months.
- We are 1 of 4 companies globally that can do what we do, and the only company based in the UK
Location & Hybrid Working:
Our office is based in Birstall, West Yorkshire, just outside of Leeds. Most of our technical team work remotely, however for communication purposes and board meetings, this role needs visit our office at least once every 2 weeks. Initially there may also be other meetings in person to collaborate with leadership and the wider team at AppCheck.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please apply ASAP as interviews may commence before the closing dates*
As part of our commitment to information security and our ISO27001 accreditation, please note that upon acceptance of an employment offer with AppCheck, you will undergo pre-employment checks including criminal record (DBS), employment & references as well as verification of Right to Work in the UK.